Styna, Munchkin and Bones!

Styna, Munchkin and Bones!
Mischief Managed!

Thursday 24 March 2011

Stray Sock Sewing - Daniel Ta

A while back I was looking for interesting things to make with the crafters at Bradford Uni and I stumbled upon this book and I thought, 'here we go!', the idea being we could grab a few pairs of socks, some beads and buttons and some stuffing and have a fun and fairly straightforward workshop. Well, so we did, but it got a little bit out of hand... the sock dolls were so much fun to make (and so cute) that we all came away with loads of the little monsters. In fact, PhoenixShaman like them so much she started making her own army of evil sock dolls (they're just misunderstood), which live here. I was particularly impressed with JaffaCakeLover's Doom Bunny, since he'd not really lifted needle and thread before :)
I'd definitely recommend the book to anyone wanting to try something new and fun. The book itself is well laid out, instructions are clear and concise and there's plenty of encouragement to try your own style. I will say that not all the sock dolls have intructions, but that just makes it more fun :) Having tried a few without instructions I also realised that failing to copy a shape exactly was not necessarily a bad thing and generally led to an intriguing new kind of sock doll.

Here are a few of ours :) The two white patterned 'bunnies' and Mr Piggy were made by me, but the blue 'dog' was made by my Mr, Erador.

No comments:

Post a Comment