Seeing as I had a whole month off to make things for Christmas this year, I decided to set myself a challenge: I've been getting back into crochet with some guidance from Styna, so I wanted to see if I could still design a pattern. I dug out a lovely, hand-dyed purple sock yarn from my stash and set to work on a present for my Mr's sister in law, Poom.
Since I hadn't done this in a while, I decided to reverse engineer a pattern from a picture, so I had a hunt for scarves I liked. I came up with this: Crochargosy, by Christie Pruitt. I downloaded the picture, but not the pattern, and (after several hours wrestling with maths) I came up with a reverse engineered recipe. It was a proper b*****d. I got so tangled up in the words that I had to make a diagram for it, which I've never done before. I won't publish my version, because it makes my eyes hurt (and I'm sure the original is much better), but I will put up the diagram if people want to see it.
The scarf turned out really well, though, which confirms my belief that most crochet and knitting is one part skill, two parts hope and two part magic. The yarn (the ball band of which I have misplaced) was very pleasant to work with, with a gradual variation of colour that gave the scarf a lovely mottled appearance. I made it relatively short, partly because of time constraints, but also because it looked quite nice as a sort of indoor scarf - and Poom loved it :D
I think I bit off a bit more than I could chew with this one.